Friday, September 12, 2008

Of thee I sing

This blog is dedicated to exploring music's power and influence in human relationships. I have played music for almost 25 years now, and find it to be as addictive as any drug. There is almost nowhere in our modern world that we don't find music being played.

Sometimes it is the nondescript background noise being played in a grocery store; other times it is the pounding of a neighbor's car stereo on a Saturday afternoon. Still other times it is the ringing of someone's cell phone on the commuter train or the jingle of a commercial on the radio or television. Music is associated with our times of greatest happiness and the darkest days of life. Music can be a motivator and a soother; it can inspire us and can help us express the darkest emotions the human heart can muster.

But in all these situations, music holds a power over us.

In this blog I hope to explore some of the origins of our love affair with music. I also plan to add interviews with some of the top thinkers in both music and neuroscience as they explore the power of music.

Look for photos, interviews, and once I learn how to get it hooked up, podcasts and videos on these pages. Feel free to interject your opinions and add insights to this exploration. The subject intrigues me and I hope it will you, too.

No comments: